Thursday, February 12, 2009

Transparency Frame

Ok, so I had this idea the other day to make a frame out of a transparency, and this is how it turned out. The frame is 3x3, cut from a transparency sheet, then the center is punched out using the scallop square punch. I distressed the frame with timber brown Stazon ink, then stamped "love" with black Stazon. Chipboard photo corners and brads separate the from from the Very Vanilla background. Stamps used on this one are Brocade Basics, Canvas BG, Organic Grace, and Everyday Flexible Favorites (all retired, but still favorites of mine!). Colors are Bordering Blue, Night of Navy, and Very Vanilla cs, Night of Navy classic ink, Creamy Caramel craft ink, brown & black Stazon. The flower is colored with Stampin' Pastels. TFL!

Friday, February 6, 2009

Cracked Stone?

I've seen so many beautiful cards on SCS that feature the Polished Stone technique, and I wanted to try it for myself. The technique calls for several colors of classic reinkers, along with a metallic reinker, but all I have is classic reinkers. So, I thought I'd improvise and add Pearl-Ex powder to my paper along with the ink. So after inking, spritzing, smushing & letting my paper dry, I stamped the image from Upsy Daisy in black Stazon on top of my marbled paper. Then I ran it through the Big Shot with the Top Note die. The only problem was that the Pearl-Ex flakes off w/o something to bind it to the paper, so I then decided to cover the whole image with Versamark & clear embossing powder. It was then that I thought I'd try using UTEE (in 3 layers!) and do the Cracked Glass effect on the image. After removing from the freezer & cracking, I inked a sponge w/basic black ink and rubbed it into the cracks, then wiped the image clean w/a baby wipe. The flower border on the left side is from Fresh Cuts, and the sentiment is from Best Yet (retired hostess set). Cardstock colors used are Basic Black, Summer Sun, and Tangerine Tango.

Thursday, February 5, 2009

S-Fold Card

I made this card for today's Ways T0 Use It challenge on SCS. The challenge today is called Embellishment Pile-up, and the idea is to layer several embellishments on top of each other to create one focal point, instead of spreading them out across the card. For my embellishments, I used olive green grosgrain ribbon (from Michaels), with cs flowers, and finally a Blue Square Ice brad holding it all together. I punched the flowers with my 5-Petal Flower punch out of Certainly Celery and Not Quite Navy cs, and stamped another flower in Certainly Celery on white cs then cut it out. I then spritzed all 3 with water, then formed them into a 3-d shape & let dry. For the card itself, the base is Not Quite Navy cut to 5 1/2 x 4 1/4. The "S" shaped piece is Very Vanilla cut to 4 x 11, scored at 5 1/4 and 8 1/8, then folded as you see. It is stamped with Baroque Border wheel in Certainly Celery, and the flower from Fresh Cuts in Not Quite Navy, and the edges are sponged with Certainly Celery. The sentiment is from All Holidays, and is stamped with Not Quite Navy, then layered on Certainly Celery and Not Quite Navy, and attached ONLY to the left side of the card. TFL!!!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Big Shot Card

This card was for the second color challenge Tuesday on SCS. The colors we were to use for this challenge were Cameo Coral, Old Olive, and Creamy Caramel. I used Very Vanilla as a neutral base for the card. The sentiment is from Full of Life, and I used the Brocade Swirl wheel on the left edge. The bird and flowers were cut out used the Birds & Blooms Sizzlet die set and Big Shot machine.

Framed Poppin' Pastels

This card is a combination of two
challenges this week on SCS. Monday's challenge was to create a card with a recessed window, and Tuesday's challenge was a color challenge using Bold Brights. I used Upsy Daisy and Flight of the Butterfly Stamp sets, and the Poppin' Pastels technique. To create this look, you stamp your images with Versamark, then use a sponge dauber to tap chalk from your Stampin' Pastels onto the card. The pastels will only stick to the Versamark, and not the dry cardstock, so the colors "Pop"! The directions for creating the recessed window can be found here: